My Story

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Her2 positive breast cancer Dec. 27th, 2011. I had three large tumors in my left breast, I also had two positive lymph nodes and so with 5 positive biopsies I started my journey. In the beginning, it was a whirlwind and within a week, I was getting a port and preparing for chemo and the rush to save my life was on. Eight months later (August 20th) after stopping chemo (12 sessions) and not having surgery (a suggested double mastectomy) or radiation like my doctors wanted me to, I sat at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Illinois and heard the results of a mammogram, MRI, Pet Scan and blood tests were that they could find no cancer in my body. The nurses and doctors were baffled and no one could explain how I could have had this terrible cancer and it was now gone, except for me. I said the Lord healed me through prayers, education, diet and supplements. I started this blog when I was first diagnosed, it is not just about on cancer, but my life and day-to-day thoughts and activities. There are suggested websites, blogs, videos and more here that I believe can benefit those dealing with cancer and those who want to be preventative. My hope is that you and yours will learn, be encouraged and healed. My family prays every night for those with cancer and that you will be not only be healed but that you will live long and happy lives.
Please check out the right side and scroll down to "This blog" for highlights.
Love and Blessings on your journey.
Karri

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Sleep! It’s So Important – Part 1

I am going on Thursday night to do a sleep study. After having problems for almost four years now I am excited that I can get some more insight into how to make my sleep more restful, uninterrupted, and longer. You seriously don't know what you have until you lose it. I took sleep for granted and thought I'd never have any problems, however my sixth child, a hysterectomy and bladder surgery and chaotic patterns set have changed all that.  Long story short I have spent the last few years trying to be a normal person who can sleep for 7 – 10 hours in a deep restful sleep.  I have done everything from taking over the counter holistic pills to acupuncture and essential oils and I still struggle in this area of life.  I have researched for a while now about the importance of sleep and how it affects you and so I figured I'd share with you.

A bad night’s sleep (or in my case years of bad sleep) can take a major toll on your health.  An estimated 70 million people live on the brink of mental and physical collapse because of lack of sleep. One study found that in just one year, forty-two million people (children and adults) received prescription pills for sleep disorders. An estimated 60 million suffer from insomnia! How sad.

God Psalms 127:2 says “He grants sleep to those He loves.” And Matthew 11:28 is the verse about coming to God when you are burdened and weary and the promise that He will give you rest.  So Christians, there is hope! There is always hope!

Sleep is restorative. When you are asleep your body shuts down and repairs itself. Your immune system recharges, your major organs are restored and old cells are replaced with new ones.  How cool! This is one of God’s gifts that helps every area of our physical and mental well being.

Sleep regulates growth hormones. When you sleep the growth hormone is released. That’s why we follow my mom in telling our kids that “when you sleep you grow “and we even joke with them when they wake from a long nap saying they have grown about a ¼ of an inch. Little kids love it as they want to be big and strong.

Sleep regulates muscle mass and fat production while you are asleep and so check it out; most people that get less than 7 hours per night are typically overweight. I know I weigh 170 and before all of this I weighed 135! I hate this part of insomnia!

Sleep boosts your immune system  People that get nine plus hours a night instead of just seven have a greater ability to ability to kill off viruses, bacteria and cancer because there are special cells in the body that are regenerated and stronger to attack these.  Remind you that I got cancer after a year of taking over the counter sleep aids and struggling to get just five to six hours a night. Type 2 diabetes is higher in people that don’t get enough sleep.  Most autoimmune diseases like my psoriasis and fibromyalgia have direct correlation to lack of restorative sleep.

Sleep keeps you looking younger longer and so it really is beauty rest. How well a person sleep helps determine how long they will live. Also you have fewer wrinkles when you get good sleep and scientists don't know why, but I think I do. When you are able to get deep rest and peaceful sleep you aren't as stressed as those that can’t sleep and so those wrinkles are from everyday stress not  just lack of sleep; just my theory.

Sleep improves brain function.  Duh! This one is a no – brainer, If your brain isn't rested it can't work at its best.  That why college students cramming for a test will no doubt do better if they get some sleep instead of cramming and pulling an all-nighter. You'll be more alert and have improved cognitive ability. Lack of sleep slows down your reaction time, attention span and impairs memory and so when you notice these things you can guess it’s a lack of sleep. Our son Hayden (6) was doing terrible without a nap and with one he does much better. All of our other kids stop taking naps by age four, but for whatever reason Hayden almost 7 still needs extra sleep to function better. Its crazy the difference we see in him. Even just resting your eyes and mind for 20 minutes during the day helps and many studies prove this.

Sleep reduces cortisol levels and so you are less prone to depression, anxiety and insomnia. High cortisol levels are associated with many diseases including cancer and so getting your zzzz’s can help prevent disease.

Sleep helps marriage. Studies show that those with sleep disorders have higher rates of divorce and one reason may be because higher cortisol levels are in people with sleep difficulties. Cortisol blocks testosterone and even the response times in the testicles and so all of this can cause a low sex drive. Lack of sex has to affect a marriage and so I am guessing it’s one of the reasons for marital problems. That and if you haven't had sleep you can get moody and be a pain to live with.

So the bottom line for today is sleep is needed and good. Don't underestimate its value.

Okay, so that’s it for today. I think that‘s a lot of information and my hubby says my last big post on water was super long and so I am splitting this up into 2 – 3 parts.

Blessings,
Karri


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, please leave a comment or question for me.