My Story

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Her2 positive breast cancer Dec. 27th, 2011. I had three large tumors in my left breast, I also had two positive lymph nodes and so with 5 positive biopsies I started my journey. In the beginning, it was a whirlwind and within a week, I was getting a port and preparing for chemo and the rush to save my life was on. Eight months later (August 20th) after stopping chemo (12 sessions) and not having surgery (a suggested double mastectomy) or radiation like my doctors wanted me to, I sat at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Illinois and heard the results of a mammogram, MRI, Pet Scan and blood tests were that they could find no cancer in my body. The nurses and doctors were baffled and no one could explain how I could have had this terrible cancer and it was now gone, except for me. I said the Lord healed me through prayers, education, diet and supplements. I started this blog when I was first diagnosed, it is not just about on cancer, but my life and day-to-day thoughts and activities. There are suggested websites, blogs, videos and more here that I believe can benefit those dealing with cancer and those who want to be preventative. My hope is that you and yours will learn, be encouraged and healed. My family prays every night for those with cancer and that you will be not only be healed but that you will live long and happy lives.
Please check out the right side and scroll down to "This blog" for highlights.
Love and Blessings on your journey.
Karri

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Part One of Why I am so Thankful for Cancer - Six months after diagnosis - June 27, 2012

Well, it was about six months ago that my whole life changed for the better. People are always asking why I would look at cancer and my life (now) from this positive perspective; so please let me explain the differences in my life and the realizations and changes that have been made that make me so appreciative.  

First, we live in a fallen and sinful world and sickness and disease are just a part of that, now sure you can be preventative till the cows come home (I have met vegan, marathon running, health nuts that have cancer), but when it really comes down to it GOD IS IN CONTROL and so it doesn’t matter what you do or don’t do you can be chosen by God to get the disease cancer, just like unborn babies can have medical problems and die within minutes of birth. Unless you are a Christian and get the sovereignty of God then you probably don’t understand why we have a God that allows things like this to happen, and so very quickly let me explain. The reason we have a God that allows things that we perceive to be negative is to somehow through it all, in the big picture of life, is to give Him the glory.
Psalms 86:12 - I will give thanks to You, O Lord my God with all my heart, and will glorify Your name forever.

That doesn’t just mean when it’s convenient or everything is going the way I want.  I have lived long enough to know that even if something is negative (my perception) that there is a reason and a purpose for it and behind it. Usually, if I wait long enough and look back I can see god working it all out and his plans and purpose in it.
Romans 8:28 - And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

I am assured that even with my case as a wife and home schooling mom in Katy Texas with breast cancer that it is all part of the plan for my life and part of my life story and so I can’t be upset about what God has given me, as it is all for and about Him, not me. To make it all about me would be a waste of time and energy.
Okay, so now that is all established, let me write on how my life has changed for the positive with the health aspects only for now.

Life comparison
Previously, I would stay up late watching Fox news till around 11:00 or 11:30 and have to take sleeping pills which I did for almost 3 years after giving birth to #6 and having a bladder surgery that caused me to get up 2 – 3 times a night and with so much going on in my brain, I always had a tough time going back to sleep. In fact, I still take pills each night, but now they are all natural.  I am hoping my surgery on the 3rd of July helps all of this and I can get a full night’s sleep for the first time in almost 3 years. Note: Sleep is a very important component for good health and everyone needs enough, so try to get to bed on time. Also, if you are taking pills of any kind, even over-the- counter, please stop and think about it especially if you are taking meds long term definitely, think about it and look into all natural pills if something is needed, better yet try to figure out what is causing your symptom and then try to fix that. For me, my solution has to be surgery.

I would wake up finally for the last time in the morning around 6:00 and get a big cup of coffee and I would sip on coffee with dairy creamer added throughout the day. I drank coffee all the time, and now I know just how bad it can be for me. Caffeine, acid and lack of nutritional value and then adding a dairy creamer, oh my goodness, I can’t believe how stupid I was! I just was ignorant on just how bad coffee and dairy were till I read all the articles and studies that I have. Now if I have coffee it is every once in a while, organic and decaf with a healthy milk and a natural sweetener like agave. Now, I never have dairy – the fridge is stocked with rice, almond and hemp milks and there is no sweet creamer to be found. On top of all that, I used a Kierig coffee pot – The company that also sells individual flavors of coffee in a little plastic cups, the machine stabs that cup poking a hole into the top to allow super hot water into it in order to brew a super fast cup of coffee. Now even though it was super convenient, that was really stupid. It never occurred to me that doing that it was bad, because so many people did it and I just trusted that if it was bad for you to get the toxins from the plastic in this way that it was so minor that in no way could it cause health problems in people. Once again that was very dim-witted.  I bought a different coffee pot although I still own the Kierig and it’s in the cabinet. Note: Get the right kind of coffee pot, drink decaf organic from Whole Foods if you can, and definitely stop drinking dairy especially these sweet creamers. If you don’t believe me on this, call me we’ll talk. I have tons of articles that show just how bad dairy is for you. I know I thought I love my milk and what’s bad with it but seriously you gotta trust me or read these things for yourself.

After getting my coffee, the day would very often be rushed which I know is something that I need to work on because starting the day out with stress and a huge to do list instead of a huge Thank you God list is not the way to go.  Note: if you have stress this is one of the biggest issues in our American society and we are all running around like some 8 year old boy just kicked our anthill. If you have stress, think of ways to have a time out each day. I strive for just 15 - 30 minutes of quiet time resting, reflecting, praying or just hanging out with no interruptions. Trust me I have 6 kids, and I know that sometimes this isn’t easy, but I know I need it and so I try.
Previously, I would skip breakfast altogether since I would have stuff to do and I wasn’t particularly hungry. I now know how important a balanced diet is and how starting off with a good meal factors into my daily energy level. I now usually take my many supplements (around 25 each morning and 90 throughout the day) and have a really healthy smoothie almost every day. I bought a Vitamix and I blend up things like, kale, spinach, wheat grass, broccoli, cucumbers, , beets, carrots and a fruit like an apple, banana, berries or peach. I also add my protein powder to make it even healthier. This many ingredients usually make for a 2 big cups of smoothie and so if I get full I just pop it in the fridge and add to it later and have it for lunch too. I did switch to brown organic eggs too and so occasionally we will boil those and I’ll have one for breakfast too Note: Drink veggie and fruit smoothie with enough greens and look into taking supplements too. I know I am thankful to Dr. Hopkins, my holistic doc, for giving me all of mine otherwise I’d be clueless on exactly what to take and what I needed. Consider seeing a holistic doctor; of course I recommend Dr. Mark Hopkins. Always eat something every morning for breakfast. Switch to brown eggs they are so much better for you.  Making a smoothie is really very easy these days as you can buy triple washed and organic greens that are in small plastic containers. I just grab everything, put it in and hit the button to blend it up. It is very quick and clean up is a breeze with the Vitamix, just rinse it out lightly and move on. I think the whole process from start to finish is 10 minutes or less and this way you know you are getting what your body wants/needs.
Okay, so I’d rush into the shower and I’d use whatever shampoo and soaps were on the market that caught my eye or my budget and well, long story short I have realized also how many chemicals and unhealthy toxins are in the products we use. So, I am trying to go organic or closer to natural with the products and the number one product to change on the list of these was my deodorant, Now I daily use Jason’s, which has no chemicals that are harsh at all, but my inside secret is that if I am having a big meeting or something I use Tom’s because it has a few bad for you things, but it works better in my opinion. Also organic toothpaste is another change I made. Note: Check the products you are using and be mindful of not just what is going into your body but what’s being absorbed into your body through the skin. I use organic products the most I can.

Well I made it to about 7:30 in the morning and gave you lots of things to think about and hopefully consider implementing in your own life. I’d love to hear back from you on the blog if you have any success stories or even questions. I’ll work on part 2 of this soon.
In the meantime I am very busy and my big surgery is on Tuesday morning and so the clock is ticking and I am working hard. There is a care calendar set up and so please consider signing up to help and check it out for updates info on it is a few days back or on the right side bar.

As always thanks for your prayers, encouragement and help,
Blessings,
Karri

Psalm 136


1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.
His love endures forever.
2 Give thanks to the God of gods.
His love endures forever.
3 Give thanks to the Lord of lords:
His love endures forever.
4 to him who alone does great wonders,
His love endures forever.
5 who by his understanding made the heavens,
His love endures forever.
6 who spread out the earth upon the waters,
His love endures forever.
7 who made the great lights
His love endures forever.
8 the sun to govern the day,
His love endures forever.
9 the moon and stars to govern the night;
His love endures forever.
10 to him who struck down the firstborn of Egypt
His love endures forever.
11 and brought Israel out from among them
His love endures forever.
12 with a mighty hand and outstretched arm;
His love endures forever.
13 to him who divided the Red Sea[a] asunder
His love endures forever.
14 and brought Israel through the midst of it,
His love endures forever.
15 but swept Pharaoh and his army into the Red Sea;
His love endures forever.
16 to him who led his people through the wilderness;
His love endures forever.
17 to him who struck down great kings,
His love endures forever.
18 and killed mighty kings
His love endures forever.
19 Sihon king of the Amorites
His love endures forever.
20 and Og king of Bashan
His love endures forever.
21 and gave their land as an inheritance,
His love endures forever.
22 an inheritance to his servant Israel.
His love endures forever.
23 He remembered us in our low estate
His love endures forever.
24 and freed us from our enemies.
His love endures forever.
25 He gives food to every creature.
His love endures forever.
26 Give thanks to the God of heaven.
His love endures forever.