My Story

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Her2 positive breast cancer Dec. 27th, 2011. I had three large tumors in my left breast, I also had two positive lymph nodes and so with 5 positive biopsies I started my journey. In the beginning, it was a whirlwind and within a week, I was getting a port and preparing for chemo and the rush to save my life was on. Eight months later (August 20th) after stopping chemo (12 sessions) and not having surgery (a suggested double mastectomy) or radiation like my doctors wanted me to, I sat at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Illinois and heard the results of a mammogram, MRI, Pet Scan and blood tests were that they could find no cancer in my body. The nurses and doctors were baffled and no one could explain how I could have had this terrible cancer and it was now gone, except for me. I said the Lord healed me through prayers, education, diet and supplements. I started this blog when I was first diagnosed, it is not just about on cancer, but my life and day-to-day thoughts and activities. There are suggested websites, blogs, videos and more here that I believe can benefit those dealing with cancer and those who want to be preventative. My hope is that you and yours will learn, be encouraged and healed. My family prays every night for those with cancer and that you will be not only be healed but that you will live long and happy lives.
Please check out the right side and scroll down to "This blog" for highlights.
Love and Blessings on your journey.
Karri

Monday, April 23, 2012

Opinions and Taking it Step by Step - April 23, 2012

I really don’t care what people may think of our decision to skip chemo at this time. If I worried about what people thought, I certainly wouldn’t be where I am today. I probably wouldn’t be married to Mark, have these kids, home school, live in this house or be starting up the new school programs that I am.
Heck, there are people that think I should be friends with this person or that person, stay with this program or that, and a few even wonder why we go to the church we do, as it’s not where all the “cool” people with the many special programs go. People will always have their opinions and beliefs about you and your decisions and that’s totally fine and I accept it, because I am full of opinions too.

I remember being in a store and being pregnant with Harrison and having the girls with me and someone saying “Wow, four kids!?” Like some complete stranger should take away the blessing of my having my children with their own insecurities and doubts? I remember telling friends and family that we were homeschooling and getting all the usual negative comments. It’s been 10 years now and it was a prayerful and Spirit- lead decision that we have never regretted. I could go on and on about how someone thought a decision we made was the wrong thing to do and it was without a doubt, right for our family.

I believe that the majority of the judgments people make in life, come from three places, ignorance, fear, and lack of faith and trust in the Lord. Corinthians 1:10 - Now I beseech you, brethren, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfected together in the same mind and in the same judgment. The longer I live, the more I realize just how divided in society and even in the church we are with our thinking. Now don’t get me wrong, sure there are some people out there that use the Bible and the Holy Spirit as their guides for judging and that is what we are actually called to do – judge, but we are also asked to judge ourselves first. I think most people I meet, judge based on their own human thoughts, desires and it’s usually sprinkled it with a bit of Satan’s influence in our lives. It’s sad, but true.

I am a risk taker and visionary; I always have been and plan to continue to be. I am willing to do things that other people wouldn’t and it has absolutely nothing to do with proving someone wrong, but fulfilling my life the best  I can in order to do the work and will of my Father. I am willing to jump even if I don’t know what it is going to look like or how scary it may be, because God is always trustworthy. Even as a kid, I remember jumping into cold, dark creek waters and trusting that I wouldn’t hit the rocks. I jumped from bridges and trees and rope swings and had a blast. I love the roller coaster and fast and free falling rides at the amusement parks. I am willing to bungee jump or even jump from a plane. I am not being stupid, just adventurous and having faith that God will take care of me.

Now, I wouldn’t ride a motorcycle without a helmet or drive without a safety belt because they have been proven without any doubt to save people’s lives and I think that’s just stupid not to do what you know without a shadow of a doubt will prevent your death. So here’s the difference in my mind. If it can hurt or kill you and you know it can, then perhaps you really need to consider not doing altogether or prepare the best you can to stay safe and alive as you go do whatever it is. When it came to chemo this is where I am. I could find nothing in the Bible to tell me to do it, I waited on the Lord and heard nothing, I prayed for direction and still waited, and then I knew I was supposed to listen to my husband. So within days of submitting in my mind to this idea, I was given clear direction. Mark said we should try doing what the Bible did tell us to do and what the Holy Spirit was leading us to do at this time. We don’t know the future, but we do know that we are open to changing this course of action if the Lord leads us to. We are still taking everything step by step and trusting the Lord with all the future treatment of my cancer.

Am I scared or worried in going forward? Nope. I am not scared of death or even of screwing this up, as I know without a shadow of a doubt, that what we are doing is part of the journey of my life. God knew I would be here even typing this and so this is just a part of the path that God has created for me and my family.

Mark and I try to support, encourage and pray with and for each other.  I am abundantly blessed that he is with me through whatever may come. We both come from dysfunctional divorced families and many didn’t even think we’d still be married this long (since 96)! We will no doubt, ever be perfect as we are sinners through and through, but we are saved by the grace and love by the creator of the world and maker of the universe and so I’d say we are sitting pretty no matter what happens in life.

So now it’s my plan to educate you on what I know about chemo and its effects on the body, my type of cancer which is very different from the majority, our plans for action as of today and my needs/wants as we go forward. I once again have a busy day and so I’ll try to get to that soon.

I’ll leave you will another blog themed song for the day. it's a pretty bad 80's song, but it's fun to look back.

Step by Step  - The new kids on the block
Blessings
Karri

4 comments:

  1. People are quick to say they would do such and such if put in a given situation. The truth is, we don't really know what we'll do until we are actually in the midst of it. For those who are close to us and do that, I like to think they do so out of concern for us and try to give them the benefit of the doubt. Only you and Mark, with God's guidance, can decide what is the best course of action for you and this crazy journey you're on. As your friend, and someone who loves you and your precious family, I may not understand everything but I trust you've made the best and wisest decision that you can make based on the information you have for your circumstances. Just remember that we love you and want what's best for you! Hang in there friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Kmberly I finally have figured out how to respond to the comments. Yea me! as Harrison sometimes says. Anyways,I agree many times people that care about me say things out of concern, although sometimes they are people that don't even know me that form opinions based on who knows what. My only wish is that they would be lead by the Holy Spirit and not speak out of quick uneducated human judgement and fear. I also think that when someone judges what you are doing without knowing the facts, and having walked a mile in your shoes that it also shows a lack of trust and respect for you. Bottom line is that you don't have to agree with me and you are welcome to even tell me what you think, but don't give me grief when I don't change my mind because you think I should. I have enough in life to do than to argue with people over stuff they have no clue about. You being my friend and knowing me and trusting me makes all the difference here. I love you too and am happy that I have people like you in my life encouraging me.

    Love ya
    Karri

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D Yay you! I completely agree with everything you said. I'm of the mindset that when we judge someone we are taking the place of our Ultimate Authority in life. With that comes a greater judgment on ourselves. My life is crazy & complicated enough that I personally don't want to be in that type of position. Does that make sense? I am amazed that people are being so calloused regarding your choices and are so forthcoming in their thoughts. I'm sorry that you've been going through this. Remember, you've got a huge group of people who are here for you, supporting you, praying for you & cheering you on! These are the people that matter.

    Much love to you friend! I've missed you and the family. I need to pay you a visit once I get over this sinus mess. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a homeschool mom as well. Your family is beautiful. We fought two different types of cancer last year. My husband is healed. Whether it's for a season or permanently, it's God's decision but living in the moment is what we do! Chemo is ugly. We faced it for 6 months. I support your decision and pray for a miracle for you and your family!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, please leave a comment or question for me.