My Story

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Her2 positive breast cancer Dec. 27th, 2011. I had three large tumors in my left breast, I also had two positive lymph nodes and so with 5 positive biopsies I started my journey. In the beginning, it was a whirlwind and within a week, I was getting a port and preparing for chemo and the rush to save my life was on. Eight months later (August 20th) after stopping chemo (12 sessions) and not having surgery (a suggested double mastectomy) or radiation like my doctors wanted me to, I sat at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Illinois and heard the results of a mammogram, MRI, Pet Scan and blood tests were that they could find no cancer in my body. The nurses and doctors were baffled and no one could explain how I could have had this terrible cancer and it was now gone, except for me. I said the Lord healed me through prayers, education, diet and supplements. I started this blog when I was first diagnosed, it is not just about on cancer, but my life and day-to-day thoughts and activities. There are suggested websites, blogs, videos and more here that I believe can benefit those dealing with cancer and those who want to be preventative. My hope is that you and yours will learn, be encouraged and healed. My family prays every night for those with cancer and that you will be not only be healed but that you will live long and happy lives.
Please check out the right side and scroll down to "This blog" for highlights.
Love and Blessings on your journey.
Karri

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Jesus in the Garden - March 20, 2012

Yesterday chemo was fine; I read, worked on school stuff and watched the movie Elizabethtown, which was pretty good. I had a great phone call while I was there, I had, per a friend’s advice, contacted the Moss Report Company and asked if I could possibly get a discount on their breast cancer report that gives a bunch of information from all areas - medical, holistic, other alternatives along with stats and facts and such. The woman from the company called and said they are starting a non-profit and she would send it completely free of charge. It costs $300 and I have wanted it for months now, but finances are tight at best with this whole cancer monster trying to take center stage as usual. Anyways, I thanked her through very appreciative tears and I am just so happy to have that blessing. This is a big report and they are sending it Fed – Ex and so I should have it by Thursday. Whoopee!

I have been back and forth on this whole idea of going forward with chemo or trying to go completely holistic. On one hand I want to trust completely in God for healing and a miracle without medical intervention. On the other hand, I think, well God has provided all that I have each day and that includes the medical treatment. I think about story of the guy praying to God for help as he stands on a roof top in a flood and eventually people come to help him. A boat comes by and the guys shout “Thanks, but no I’m waiting for God.” and then the helicopter comes by and he again shouts “Thanks, but no, I’m waiting for God.”  And so on and so on.  So, the guy dies of starvation and dehydration and he gets to heaven and he says “God why didn’t you save me?” and God answers “I sent you a boat and a helicopter, etc. and you chose not to take it.” So I am starting to feel that is the only thing I can do at this point. I need to take and accept whatever God provides, even if I am less than happy with it.

We live in America, we have insurance, Mark has a job; we have medical professionals all around us and more. God has provided big time for us! I just don’t want to have cancer and I definitely don’t want my breast cut off and the major surgery or the harsh chemo and all its side effects. I don’t want to not be able to hold my kids for 6 weeks plus after surgery and I don’t want to be on bed rest and completely dependent on people. I feel a bit like a spoiled brat having her temper- tantrum in the department store because my parent won’t get me what I want. I know it’s childish, but currently that is how I feel. I usually know what I want. Mark jokes with me (less now than when we dating) when I order my food like Sally from when Harry met Sally. I want things just the way I like them, especially if I am paying for it. In this cancer situation, I will be paying to get rid of cancer with pain, frustration and irritation. That bites!
But on a saner note, even Jesus himself struggled with this internal fight.

“Jesus went a little further and fell on His face and prayed saying, “Oh Father, if it possible, let this cup pass from me, nevertheless, not as I will but as you will.”
 Matthew 26:39.

If Jesus himself felt like this with his pain and suffering and eventual death, then I feel better in my emotions, instead of feeling embarrassed or guilty for feeling the way I do. Jesus prayed in His stressful situation and I am praying too. In the garden of Gethsemane, Jesus asked God to revise His plans. He felt free to ask for what He wanted, but He was willing to accept God’s answer even if it’s not what He wanted. I am honest with God and I trust Him completely wherever He leads me. There is great peace in knowing that He will never leave or forsake me.

I have two more Monday's of this chemo and then I am gonna switch to the harsh chemo for 2 months. I spoke to the oncologist yesterday and I asked if I could get out of it and she said no, as the reason for it, is to prevent spreading of the cancer. Since the surgery has such a long healing time, there can’t be chemo to continue to kill the cancer at that time and so we have to make sure it is wiped out to the best of our ability.  When cancer is found in your bloodstream then they test it weekly to see its levels.  The test results from last Thursdays tests show that on a range from 0.0 – 25, I am at 23.4! I can’t expect this aggressive little monster to go away without fighting it hard without everything in my power that God has provided, even if it’s not how I would choose it.

Please continue to pray for me, my healing and more than anything my schedule and dealing with my not getting my way. Please pray that God will work out lots of help and support for me during this time. I also would like angels to comfort me as well, especially during the pain and discomfort.

Blessings,
Karri






No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, please leave a comment or question for me.