My Story

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Her2 positive breast cancer Dec. 27th, 2011. I had three large tumors in my left breast, I also had two positive lymph nodes and so with 5 positive biopsies I started my journey. In the beginning, it was a whirlwind and within a week, I was getting a port and preparing for chemo and the rush to save my life was on. Eight months later (August 20th) after stopping chemo (12 sessions) and not having surgery (a suggested double mastectomy) or radiation like my doctors wanted me to, I sat at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Illinois and heard the results of a mammogram, MRI, Pet Scan and blood tests were that they could find no cancer in my body. The nurses and doctors were baffled and no one could explain how I could have had this terrible cancer and it was now gone, except for me. I said the Lord healed me through prayers, education, diet and supplements. I started this blog when I was first diagnosed, it is not just about on cancer, but my life and day-to-day thoughts and activities. There are suggested websites, blogs, videos and more here that I believe can benefit those dealing with cancer and those who want to be preventative. My hope is that you and yours will learn, be encouraged and healed. My family prays every night for those with cancer and that you will be not only be healed but that you will live long and happy lives.
Please check out the right side and scroll down to "This blog" for highlights.
Love and Blessings on your journey.
Karri

Thursday, January 02, 2014

Explaining Histology - January 2, 2014

I was going through old emails that I sent out to friends and family when I found out my histology report and I thought I'd send it out to you. Unfortunately the pictures won't go through but  I am sure you could Google it to find some. I am so blessed to be healed by God and currently cancer free now. So please remember that now matter what your report or situation with cancer, there is always hope. 

12/ 20/ 11

I got an 8 which means it’s very aggressive – the highest you can get is a 9. I'm a grade 3 which is pretty bad. 

What is a Histologic Grade System?

Histology is the study of tissues, including cellular structure and function. Pathologists (physicians who conduct laboratory studies of tissues and cells) often assign a histologic grade to a patient’s cancerous breast tumor to identify the type of tumor present and help determine the patient’s prognosis (projected outcome).
The Scarff-Bloom-Richardson system is the most common type of cancer grade system used today. To determine a tumor’s histologic grade, pathologists examine the breast cancer cells and their patterns under a microscope. A sample of breast cells may be taken from a breast biopsylumpectomy  or mastectomy.
Pathologists closely observe three features when determining a cancer’s grade: the frequency of cell mitosis (rate of cell division), tubule formation (percentage of cancer composed of tubular structures), and nuclear pleomorphism (change in cell size and uniformity). Each of these features is assigned a score ranging from 1 to 3 (1 indicating slower cell growth and 3 indicating faster cell growth). The scores of each of the cells’ features are then added together for a final sum that will range between 3 to 9.
Tubule Formation (% of Carcinoma Composed of Tubular Structures)
Score
  > 75%
1
  10-75%
2
  less than 10%
3
Nuclear Pleomorphism (Change in Cells)
Score
  Small, uniform cells
1
  Moderate increase in size and variation 2
2
  Marked variation
3
Mitosis Count (Cell Division)
Score
  Up to 7
1
  8 to 14
2
  15 or more
3

Summary of Histologic Grades of Breast Cancer
A tumor with a final sum of 3, 4, or 5 is considered a Grade 1 tumor (well-differentiated). A sum of 6 or 7 is considered a Grade 2 tumor (moderately-differentiated), and a sum of 8 or 9 is a Grade 3 tumor (poorly-differentiated).
Grade
Description
Score
Grade 1
(lowest)
Well-differentiated breast cells;
cells generally appear normal
and are not growing rapidly;
cancer arranged in small tubules.
3,4,5
Grade 2
Moderately-differentiated breast cells;
have characteristics between
Grade 1 and Grade 3 tumors.
6,7
Grade 3
(highest)
Poorly differentiated breast cells;
Cells do not appear normal and tend to
grow and spread more aggressively.
8,9
*Scarff-Bloom-Richardson grade system

Pathologists also look for necrosis (areas of degenerating cancer cells) when determining a tumor’s grade. Cancers with a high grade, necrosis, cancers close to the surrounding margin of breast tissue of a lumpectomy sample, or large areas of DCIS are more likely to recur after breast cancer treatment than other breast cancers.(1)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, please leave a comment or question for me.