My Story

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Her2 positive breast cancer Dec. 27th, 2011. I had three large tumors in my left breast, I also had two positive lymph nodes and so with 5 positive biopsies I started my journey. In the beginning, it was a whirlwind and within a week, I was getting a port and preparing for chemo and the rush to save my life was on. Eight months later (August 20th) after stopping chemo (12 sessions) and not having surgery (a suggested double mastectomy) or radiation like my doctors wanted me to, I sat at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Illinois and heard the results of a mammogram, MRI, Pet Scan and blood tests were that they could find no cancer in my body. The nurses and doctors were baffled and no one could explain how I could have had this terrible cancer and it was now gone, except for me. I said the Lord healed me through prayers, education, diet and supplements. I started this blog when I was first diagnosed, it is not just about on cancer, but my life and day-to-day thoughts and activities. There are suggested websites, blogs, videos and more here that I believe can benefit those dealing with cancer and those who want to be preventative. My hope is that you and yours will learn, be encouraged and healed. My family prays every night for those with cancer and that you will be not only be healed but that you will live long and happy lives.
Please check out the right side and scroll down to "This blog" for highlights.
Love and Blessings on your journey.
Karri

Saturday, July 06, 2013

Think about Water - July 6, 2013

Facts on water:
  • Water is the most important nutrient for our bodies. 
  • Your body is an average of 70% water. Babies start out being about 80% water and elderly people are usually less than 50% water. The elderly don’t get as thirsty and often make the mistake of not drinking enough.
  • Your body loses roughly 2 quarts of water every day through sweating, urine and exhalation. 
  • Water increases the efficiency of the immune system.
  • Water is directly connected to brain function and so if your thinking is cloudy reach for some water.  The human brain is 1/15th of your body weight and brain cells are about 85% water and since the brain never shuts down, it needs enough water to keep it going strong.
  • Water helps prevent memory loss as we age.
  • Water keeps us looking younger. Skin stays smoother and has a natural healthy looking glow. Example to think about: removing the water from plums causes wrinkled prunes, remove the water from your skin and you get wrinkles. I like visuals. J
  • Water helps you maintain a healthy weight.

Scary Facts/Information:
  • Tap water is not healthy anymore. One government report identified over 2000 chemicals in some public drinking water!
  • Our water is full of all kinds of contaminants like pesticides, household cleaners and drugs like birth control pills, antidepressants and even cocaine. They end up being flushed down the toilets or sinks and sent into water treatment plants.  The thing is that everything can't be perfected.  Testing of fish that live downstream from these plants end up with all kinds of problems like deformities and diseases.
  • According to the environment defense group, more than 4 billion pounds of toxic chemicals are released into the environment each year; 72 million of those are known carcinogens.
  • Chlorine is added to many cities drinking water and this destroys nutrients in the body. It’s terrible for skin, causing many problems like eczema and psoriasis and it has been proven to cause bladder cancer.
  • Chlorinated water can hurt you even if you don’t drink it. Taking a hot shower can increase contaminants absorbed by the body more than drinking a ½ gallon of chlorinated tap water.
  • Fluoride is a toxin and most US states have this added to the water.  Fluoride can interfere with vitamin and mineral functions and it is also associated with calcium deposits and arthritis.
  • Aluminum is also in many public waters across the country and too much of this toxin can cause Alzheimer disease.  It’s a chemical used to clump and remove organic materials found in the water.
  • Bottled water is even less regulated than tap water and it can actually be even more toxic. Many bottled waters are actually tap water just put into plastic bottles.
  • Plastic bottles themselves are bad. Studies show that polyvinal chloride which is what plastic is made of leaches out of the bottles along with other pollutants and disrupts the body in some major ways.  My friend Beth had a son that had a brain tumor as an infant and the doctors believed that it was because of heating up his milk in the microwave with plastic bottles. Since learning this we have stopped using plastic as much and we very rarely use the microwave either.  Studies show that plastics can mess up hormone balance causing fertility problems, damage cells, organs and more. Many studies show direct links to plastic and chromosomal changes adding or subtracting which can cause Down syndrome and other disorders. Bottom line it’s bad.
  • I know that I am giving a lot of information but here’s even more to check out. http://www.ewg.org/key-issues/water

How to be safe/what to do:
  • Think about what you are drinking and be aware of the many chemicals that your body has to deal with. Your lymphatic system, if like the majority of society, is probably working at a below par level and so your body has to try to fight all of these toxins. If too many toxins build up, you can end up with harmful and irritating conditions including cancer and other killing diseases.
  • Buy a water filtration system for our home. If you can't afford one then get filters like a Brita that you put on your faucet or buy a filtering water pitcher. Remember that if you get these though that they need to be changed out regularly. The carbon filters get clogged and stop working and so every 6 - 8 months or so they need to be replaced.  Dr. Mercola talks about water systems http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHBbjtYt9D0 The Berkley water filtration system is best according to Chris: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph3D6OVGJsA
  • Drink from glass only and never heat up plastic. We bought Mason jars from Wal-Mart and they work fine. In fact I am using them to store my seeds, dried fruits, oats and such as well.
  • Avoid plastic when you can, especially Styrofoam. Oh my goodness I can't type everything that I have learned on all the terrible things that can come from these products but scary is a light word. Terrifying is more descriptive and accurate for these products. I don't have time to write it all but trust me, you don't want to ever drink hot coffee from a Styrofoam cup ever again – I mean it people, ever again!  You think you're just drinking water with some coffee and cream but you are drinking carcinogenics. The same goes with all of these products and especially if you put say those cheap plastic Tupperware type things into the microwave. I really hope I am getting through to you on this issue.
  • Get a water filter in your shower too.  There are many different ones out there, but when I can afford all my health wants I am planning on getting this one. http://www.waterwise.com/productcart/pc/showerwise.asp?idaffiliate=28 I have psoriasis and chlorine is terrible for most skin problems and so I expect that my psoriasis will get better when add the filter to my shower. When I take a bath I am using dead sea salts and I don’t take too many baths and so  I  guess that will be good enough for now.
  • When buying bottled water buy the best - Voss in glass from Norway. https://www.vosswater.com/and alkalizing Abita and Evamor.  I differ with Dr. Mercola on this issue as I believe that alkalizing water is the best.  I am happy to have the discussion with anyone that would like to know more on that. I have posted several times on PH levels and such and so you could do a search on this site as well.
  • Buy an alkalizing water machine if you have the funds to do so.  The best choice is the Vitalizer Plus machine.  http://vitalizerplus.com/ Check it out and buy me one for Christmas. Ha ha ha
  • Drink more water.  Take your weight and divide it by two. The result should be the amount of water in ounces you should drink every day.  I am around 170 and so I should be drinking 85 ounces a day!
  • Drink water at room temperature. It’s best for your body. God made water not freezers. I know it’s tempting to drink cold things, especially on hot days, but your body will process better if your water is room temp – warm.
  • Don't drink too much when eating. Drinking too much at meals can wash out the hydrochloric acid, digestive juices in your tummy and intestines.  This hinders the digestion process and can cause indigestion and even cramping if you have too much liquid.
  • Know when to drink - Drink 15 – 30 minutes before meals or two hours after, and don't drink too late in the evening, this can cause sleep problems and even bad dreams. Don't believe me? Go ahead then test yourself. Drink 8 – 10 oz right before bed and see and then the next night don’t drink after 7 p.m. you'll see. I try to limit my liquids at night because I always have to get up to pee in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep very easily.
  • Mix it up a bit. If you are trying to be healthy and ditching all the sodas and store-bought sugary juices, then try to mix up your water intake a bit by adding vegetables, fruits and herbs to your water to flavor it. You can find plenty of water flavoring recipes online too. I know when I have gone to spas they have used rosemary and cucumber and such. Water doesn’t have to be boring.  I add lemon, tea, drink coconut waters, and occasionally buy random flavored waters at Spouts and Whole Foods.
  • Remember how important water is. Give up all those sodas, especially diet ones and enjoy some refreshing and good for you water today! Your body will thank you!

I hope this helps you and if it does please pass this blog post to others.


Blessings,
Karri


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, please leave a comment or question for me.