My Story

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Her2 positive breast cancer Dec. 27th, 2011. I had three large tumors in my left breast, I also had two positive lymph nodes and so with 5 positive biopsies I started my journey. In the beginning, it was a whirlwind and within a week, I was getting a port and preparing for chemo and the rush to save my life was on. Eight months later (August 20th) after stopping chemo (12 sessions) and not having surgery (a suggested double mastectomy) or radiation like my doctors wanted me to, I sat at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Illinois and heard the results of a mammogram, MRI, Pet Scan and blood tests were that they could find no cancer in my body. The nurses and doctors were baffled and no one could explain how I could have had this terrible cancer and it was now gone, except for me. I said the Lord healed me through prayers, education, diet and supplements. I started this blog when I was first diagnosed, it is not just about on cancer, but my life and day-to-day thoughts and activities. There are suggested websites, blogs, videos and more here that I believe can benefit those dealing with cancer and those who want to be preventative. My hope is that you and yours will learn, be encouraged and healed. My family prays every night for those with cancer and that you will be not only be healed but that you will live long and happy lives.
Please check out the right side and scroll down to "This blog" for highlights.
Love and Blessings on your journey.
Karri

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Updated Blog, the Kids and More Feb 18, 2012

It's Saturday night and my friend Kimberly Wiltshire and I have been working on the blog. She had to leave quickly when her mom called and said her aunt died. It was lung cancer and she was 60 years old. Please pray for my friend and her family as they drive tonight to get there and handle everything. They knew it was going to happen and so I think that that must make it a bit better since there is no shock involved and they have had time to prepare.
Hannah(14) is gone to Oklahoma with friends and the house is so quite without her. Yes, there are five kids here, but she is one of the loudest ones, oh heck, what am I saying? They are all loud; it's just taken down a bit now. She’s going to a concert tonight. Skillet is one of the bands and I don't even know who they are; a Christian group I am sure. Anyways we miss her.

Holly (13 tomorrow) said she'd like to perhaps go to the movies for her birthday tomorrow, she doesn't even know what is playing and the costs of the theatre keeps us at home with Netflix most of the time. I can't even imagine going and not having popcorn and a coke to go with the movie. There are definitely some foods I am seriously missing. Holly received two more gifts today, cash money ($13), and some homemade peppermint ice cream from the Smith family. She has a pretty good life. Once again I wished I could eat the ice cream, actually, I did have a small bite.
Hope (11) is driving us all a bit crazy as usual. She is always in her own world often and often that means she’s not paying attention or following directions.  She is trying to help out a bit more as she gets older. I pray that someday things will click and she will be able to do three tasks in order without being sidetracked.  She has been a lot more affectionate with me since hearing about the cancer. I think that it is very sweet and I realize that brings her comfort and so I sometimes let her stay up late to hang with me, etc.

Harrison (7) got to go to a Lego techno chaos camp in Sugarland on Friday and he can’t stop talking about how much fun it was. He said Holly I know what you can do for your birthday – ha ha ha. Anyway, it was a blessing for him to get to go in place of another boy that was unable to make it at the last minute. We are really trying to get the kids out and having fun as much as possible. Harrison keeps getting busted trying to play video games.

Hayden (5) and Hudson (2) are both cute and getting into all type of crazy situations as always. Oh ya! I forgot to tell you about last night. I’ll try to post a picture, but for 3 days our bedroom toilet has been clogged and well we got it out last night it was a hard plastic bathtub to. It turned out to be Theodore from Alvin and the Chipmunks in an inter-tube. It was hilarious! I have picture of the kids and Mark trying to get it out and well it was hilarious. Needless to say we didn’t have to buy another toilet. Thank the Lord. But that is the type of stuff we deal with, with the little guys; climbing, breaking, getting hurt, taking toys and cups, etc.

O.k. If you have read this far you’ll get some interesting stuff.

1.       It has been suggested that when I have pain with chemo and the shots that I have a run in with Mary Jane. If you don’t know what that means well you are too young. I just think it’s funny because some things that happen around here and some of the conversations post finding out about cancer are so funny to me. Several people have mentioned this and I just think it’s all odd.  Mark was the one in college that liked it, not me.

2.       I have said “You are killing me.” Referring to the kids when they are getting into trouble or even when they make me laugh hard. Just a stupid saying I picked up. I’m sure a few of you have used it before. However, I caught myself saying it earlier and realized what a horrible thing to say especially when Mom has cancer. I realized that if I kept saying that they could possible think they had a part in something terrible eventually. I know that’s not gonna happen I am just saying, I’m not saying that anymore.

3.       Holly said the other day that if anyone was gonna get cancer in the house she was glad it was me. Not the context of the comment was that she wants to off her Mom or anything. No, she was saying that I can handle it better than anyone else in the house could. She went on to say that if it wasn’t her (who can handle pain and blood and guts and such) that everyone else would be whining cry babies all the time. I have had my fair share of upsets and feeling yucky but for the most pat I have handled this pretty good I think. Heck, I shaved my head with my whole family and we are gonna post it here soon as we figure out how to. I was happy Holly said that. It was like without the exact words she meant I was tough enough to fight this cancer. I know she is right.


Oh, here's what was in the toilet., theodore is covered in shampoo which helped them get it out. If I get permission from the girls I'd love to send pictures of them trying to get it out. What a Friday night. Thanks Bobbie! J/K


1 comment:

Don't be shy, please leave a comment or question for me.