My Story

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Her2 positive breast cancer Dec. 27th, 2011. I had three large tumors in my left breast, I also had two positive lymph nodes and so with 5 positive biopsies I started my journey. In the beginning, it was a whirlwind and within a week, I was getting a port and preparing for chemo and the rush to save my life was on. Eight months later (August 20th) after stopping chemo (12 sessions) and not having surgery (a suggested double mastectomy) or radiation like my doctors wanted me to, I sat at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Illinois and heard the results of a mammogram, MRI, Pet Scan and blood tests were that they could find no cancer in my body. The nurses and doctors were baffled and no one could explain how I could have had this terrible cancer and it was now gone, except for me. I said the Lord healed me through prayers, education, diet and supplements. I started this blog when I was first diagnosed, it is not just about on cancer, but my life and day-to-day thoughts and activities. There are suggested websites, blogs, videos and more here that I believe can benefit those dealing with cancer and those who want to be preventative. My hope is that you and yours will learn, be encouraged and healed. My family prays every night for those with cancer and that you will be not only be healed but that you will live long and happy lives.
Please check out the right side and scroll down to "This blog" for highlights.
Love and Blessings on your journey.
Karri

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

February 2, 2012 - My White Blood Cell Count

It is early and I am searching the internet. I am very desperate to get out of taking this shot for my WBC count to be raised. I haven’t been eating hardly at all and I haven’t been resting much either since after chemo I get wiped out and so the time that I feel o.k. I am working hard to make up for the lost time. I really am dissatisfied with the lack of information that my oncologist has given as far as diet/ nutrition help. I am really considering going somewhere else at this point. MY WBC at the beginning was 7.9 and now it’s a 2.7, and I have taken the shot two times which means it should have bounced back. Now it’s probably lower than 2.7 as that was before chemo yesterday. I just need some help from someone besides my oncologist that just always want to give me more and more drugs.

This came from the Mayo clinic:

How can you cope with low blood cell counts?

Take steps to keep your body healthy when you have low blood cell counts. For example:

· Eat a balanced diet. Your body needs all the vitamins and nutrients it can get to heal itself during and after your treatment. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. If treatment complications make eating difficult — for example, if you experience nausea and vomiting or mouth sores — experiment to find foods you can tolerate.

· Avoid injury. Many everyday activities put you at risk of cuts and scrapes. A low platelet count makes even minor abrasions serious. A low white blood cell count can turn a small cut into a starting point for a serious infection. Use an electric shaver rather than a razor to avoid nicks. Ask someone else to cut up food in the kitchen. Be gentle when brushing your teeth and blowing your nose.

· Avoid germs. It's impossible to avoid all germs, but avoid unnecessary exposure when you can. Wash your hands frequently or use a liquid hand sanitizer. Avoid people who are sick and stay away from crowds. Have someone else clean the litter box, bird cage or fish tank. Don't eat raw meat or eggs.

· Rest. If you feel tired, stop and rest. Your body is working hard to fight the cancer cells and heal the healthy cells damaged by your treatment. Don't feel guilty about taking time for yourself and asking others to help you. Plan your most important activities for the time of day when you feel most energetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, please leave a comment or question for me.