My Story

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Her2 positive breast cancer Dec. 27th, 2011. I had three large tumors in my left breast, I also had two positive lymph nodes and so with 5 positive biopsies I started my journey. In the beginning, it was a whirlwind and within a week, I was getting a port and preparing for chemo and the rush to save my life was on. Eight months later (August 20th) after stopping chemo (12 sessions) and not having surgery (a suggested double mastectomy) or radiation like my doctors wanted me to, I sat at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Illinois and heard the results of a mammogram, MRI, Pet Scan and blood tests were that they could find no cancer in my body. The nurses and doctors were baffled and no one could explain how I could have had this terrible cancer and it was now gone, except for me. I said the Lord healed me through prayers, education, diet and supplements. I started this blog when I was first diagnosed, it is not just about on cancer, but my life and day-to-day thoughts and activities. There are suggested websites, blogs, videos and more here that I believe can benefit those dealing with cancer and those who want to be preventative. My hope is that you and yours will learn, be encouraged and healed. My family prays every night for those with cancer and that you will be not only be healed but that you will live long and happy lives.
Please check out the right side and scroll down to "This blog" for highlights.
Love and Blessings on your journey.
Karri

Monday, October 08, 2012

Giving More? October 8, 2012


I’m headed into my 4th day of a 21 Detox diet, yes 21 days with only water, fruit, veggies and my shake mix from the doctor. Pray for me. Dr. Mark is hoping this will get out a lot of the junk stored up in my body and the plan is to cut down my supplement intake, I take around 90 plus pills daily! This was difficult in the beginning but over the last 7 months but now, it has just become an easy habit. I truly believe that without these supplements and my holistic treatment that the cancer may have gotten worse. God heals not only supernaturally, but also through the blessings of others.
I do not know where I would be today if my friend had not suggested going to Dr. Hopkins and then funding $5000 so I could afford to get the treatment I needed. Honestly, had her and her husband not paid for it, I highly doubt I would have ever gone and I would not have been so blessed by the wisdom, knowledge and treatment that I have been given. So can I say that yes this family help save my life? Absolutely!  I wonder sometimes what will happen from here on. Will I stay cancer free (in remission) or will I have this battle in the future? I don’t know, but I do know that without others support and love, life is very difficult and I feel so blessed to have had friends that were there for me in my time of need.

We will never be able to thank this family enough for the love and kindness they extended me in their paying such a large sum of money for my medical care. They have forever changed my family. We look at things differently now, and not that we didn’t want to serve and give before, but we have even more reason and a larger- than- life example of generosity that has been given to us, that now we want to do the same and help others even more.

I remember my friend saying “Whatever the Lord leads you to give.” when her husband was out of a job for about a year and people asked how they could help. Throughout the year, she trusted on the Lord and He put it on people’s hearts to do different things throughout the year to provide. They were given a car, cash donations, groceries and more during this time in their lives and I know how that changed her children to see the work of the Lord through the hands and feet of His people.  I called this friend that I haven’t talked to in a while and I left a message.  She wasn’t there and I left a message. We hardly ever talk now as our children are involved in different programs and we move in different circles now. She says “who you are doing life with” when you have a group of people that you see and do things with on a regular basis.  My whole circle has changed this year and I am not “doing life” with the same people that I had in my circle when I lead the Classical Conversations group. I miss them, remember them often and thank the Lord of the blessings of that time and season. Their wisdom and friendship will forever stay in my heart.
I am reading a book called Crazy Love by Francis Chan and it’s really good.  I highly suggest you read it. In the book, he is basically saying that we are super blessed and wealthy in America and that we should consider getting rid of what we don’t really need and consider giving more away. He cites all of the scripture to support his position of course ands describes his journey through the process of doing just that.  It is very convicting and encouraging at the same time. We use many excuses on why we can’t give more than we do, which is the standard tithe to the church and small gifts here and there to different ministries. I think that the majority of people I would talk to would say “that’s okay, you are doing what the Lord asks of you”. The average Christian that I know believes and gives the standard 10% of their income as a tithe to the church to be used however God sees fit. Most of the people I know are like us and give to this and that ministry as well here and there throughout the year, but Chan is suggesting that we do way more and don’t think about what the minimum we can give is but what is our maximum we can give?
 “Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9: 6 – 7.
Here’s my honest confession. Every Christmas I see the Operation Shoebox table at church and sign up to give and I think maybe one year out of the last four I have actually fulfilled my commitment. It’s not that I didn’t want to do it but life was busy and I made excuses. I saw them in the hallway yesterday at church and thought we should do that and then I didn’t sign up because I was too busy to actually go shopping for all the items and wrap up the box and all. When we did do it in the past, each of the kids got to help and it was great because we gave three boxes and we enjoyed the whole shopping, wrapping and giving process.  I frustrate myself in this area of excuse making.  I know I am seriously busy and the only reason I even keep writing is that I am up at 3 am. But am I focused on what all I need to be and are we doing enough for others?

Yesterday we had a guest speaker a pastor from Redeemer church and he was wonderful. Guess what he talked about? Giving your time, energy and money to the different ministries of Houston that were lined up throughout our hallways for Impact Sunday. I think God is seriously talking to me through this book and the sermons I have been hearing. Now I just need to pray about specific and follow through.

Okay I seriously need to get some sleep.
Take care and go get the book

Karri

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karri
    I read your story and Glory be to God for you being an inspiration for so many women. I am a mother of five, and newly diagnosed with BC. My youngest is 8 months old. I am not sure what stage that I am since I've not had my MRI or PET scan. I will be going through that next week. I am so very afraid of the unknown. I've been experiencing back pains and body aches, I pray that the cancer has not spread. I would like to be in contact with you through this journey. Is this possible? I don't know how to leave my email anonymously.

    Blessings,
    Angel

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, please leave a comment or question for me.