My Story

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Her2 positive breast cancer Dec. 27th, 2011. I had three large tumors in my left breast, I also had two positive lymph nodes and so with 5 positive biopsies I started my journey. In the beginning, it was a whirlwind and within a week, I was getting a port and preparing for chemo and the rush to save my life was on. Eight months later (August 20th) after stopping chemo (12 sessions) and not having surgery (a suggested double mastectomy) or radiation like my doctors wanted me to, I sat at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Illinois and heard the results of a mammogram, MRI, Pet Scan and blood tests were that they could find no cancer in my body. The nurses and doctors were baffled and no one could explain how I could have had this terrible cancer and it was now gone, except for me. I said the Lord healed me through prayers, education, diet and supplements. I started this blog when I was first diagnosed, it is not just about on cancer, but my life and day-to-day thoughts and activities. There are suggested websites, blogs, videos and more here that I believe can benefit those dealing with cancer and those who want to be preventative. My hope is that you and yours will learn, be encouraged and healed. My family prays every night for those with cancer and that you will be not only be healed but that you will live long and happy lives.
Please check out the right side and scroll down to "This blog" for highlights.
Love and Blessings on your journey.
Karri

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

January 26, 2012 - Setting Up Help

So my dear sweet friends have helped me get up a care calendar and I am so appreciative. Special thanks to Brenda Debor, Bobbie Kerr , Monica Hodges, Jennifer Chavez, and Rebecca Skinner for all the help with discussing and trying to figure things out. I love you guys!

So here’s the latest. I had chemo on Wed. and my friend Kristen Carroll came up to visit for my sit and sip time (smoothies) which was great. 11:00 – 1:30 is much better for someone to visit as I get tired with the Benadryl I get at usually around 9:30 or 10. I was actually sleeping until almost 12, but as she is one of our school’s tutors she was patient and got some work done for Friday’s classes.

The doctor agreed to give me a test run and let me try to forgo the standard weekly injection to increase WBC this week and so I am super excited! If my WBC stays above 4.0 then I can live without the shot for 9 more weeks! The shot is worse than the chemo and it hurts my bones and there really isn’t any medicine that we have tried at this point that has been able to help enough. The doctor also told me to get used to Hydrocodone, as I’ll need to take it for at least a year.

This week I should start to lose my hair. I am hoping I don’t end up looking like Gollum from the Lord of the Ring movies – ha ha ha! I went with my friend Susan Lewis to try on wigs on Tuesday and well they are really expensive! The one I liked the best was $450!, and so we sent a picture to Mark but he wasn’t impressed, and so I’ll need to take him with me sometime over the weekend I guess. I can’t even imagine what that experience will be like. I think that we are both gonna have to get used to the fact that I will not look like me. Wigs are usually straight hair as that way they are easier to care for, and so that in itself will be a change. The wig I liked the best came in a dirty blond look and so I figure what the heck – it’s a change. Pray all goes well I need to get this all figured out as I am sure that it will be an emotional experience to lose my hair and I don’t want the added stress of not having a wig that I like and feel comfortable in.

Last week was difficult as I felt pretty yucky at least 6 days. I am hoping that this week will be better. My weeks are now Wed – Wed, since that is when I have chemo and that changes everything. We are taking things day by day and so we’ll see what tomorrow holds.

Blessing: I don’t have to have the shot this week and my 2 year old runs around the house singing the song from Queen, “We will, We will Rock You” Then my intelligent older children explain that correct grammar is “We Shall Rock You”. How funny is my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, please leave a comment or question for me.