My Story

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Her2 positive breast cancer Dec. 27th, 2011. I had three large tumors in my left breast, I also had two positive lymph nodes and so with 5 positive biopsies I started my journey. In the beginning, it was a whirlwind and within a week, I was getting a port and preparing for chemo and the rush to save my life was on. Eight months later (August 20th) after stopping chemo (12 sessions) and not having surgery (a suggested double mastectomy) or radiation like my doctors wanted me to, I sat at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Illinois and heard the results of a mammogram, MRI, Pet Scan and blood tests were that they could find no cancer in my body. The nurses and doctors were baffled and no one could explain how I could have had this terrible cancer and it was now gone, except for me. I said the Lord healed me through prayers, education, diet and supplements. I started this blog when I was first diagnosed, it is not just about on cancer, but my life and day-to-day thoughts and activities. There are suggested websites, blogs, videos and more here that I believe can benefit those dealing with cancer and those who want to be preventative. My hope is that you and yours will learn, be encouraged and healed. My family prays every night for those with cancer and that you will be not only be healed but that you will live long and happy lives.
Please check out the right side and scroll down to "This blog" for highlights.
Love and Blessings on your journey.
Karri

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

February 14, 2012 - Valentine’s Day and Our Planning for Things / Our Daily Lives

The plan for today (as far as the cancer life goes) is the following:
1. Get the blood work in and see if my WBC has gone up. I was at a 3.4 and I am hoping above a 4.0 which is usually the minimum you should be at. What this really breaks down to in simple terms, is that currently my immune system has been working at about 30 – 35% of its capacity for this last week which was up from the 10 - 15% mark previously.
2. Go and talk to my current oncologist or at least have a phone conversation about our thoughts and plans and if she doesn’t agree, move on to a new oncologist. That will mean calling around to see the other private doctor offices available. At this point I do NOT want to go to MD Anderson. Our plan for today is to schedule appointments for a thermograph and an ultrasound in order to see the improvement and then go from there.
3. Work on the new blog with Kimberly soon and see if we can’t get that out.
4. Keep praying and taking it day by day, and step by step. Rest in the knowledge of the Lord’s Sovereignty and His plans for my life.

Our crazy schedule

People keep asking me, how am I am doing everything and here is a sneak peek into some of the regular things we have. This isn’t everything and that would be impossible to even try as there are always surprises.

Mondays – I have been going early to give blood at the lab at Memorial and then going to my friend’s Beth Clarke’s) doctor, Dr. Mark Hopkins’s out in the Spring Cypress area. My much loved driver (Bobbie Kerr) and I have been enjoying talking on the trip to and from, learning from and visiting with Dr. Hopkins’s and his amazing staff and eating fish and veggies at Luby’s. This is usually from around 8:00 – 1:30 start from the front door to home. Monica Hodges comes over to keep an eye on the kids and take them places with her and her son throughout the day as Bobbie’s 3 children are at the house while we are gone.

Tuesdays – Hayden (5) has MDO at Kingsland Baptist Church and so our first visitor is Jesse Allen, who comes and picks him up and takes him to and from. This is great for us as Tuesday’s are our most normal morning compared to be diagnosed. We get up, do chores, eat, pray and read for a minimum of an hour together in the living room. This is when I feel the most like a Mom and that my life is normal, I forget about all my other cares and worries and spend time with my kids. We do a catechism and talk about things. I just love our time together as a family even with the exception of Daddy as we’ve done this reading time for 10 years now. We have 3 art classes from 11:30 – 2:30 in our home, Bobbie teaches in the dining room and parents stay and help with the siblings. Tuesday’s are always lots of fun!

Wednesdays – Up to this point (5 weeks) and we’ll see if I go this week, I have been doing chemo from around 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. I have a different visiting friend each week from around 11:00 – 1:30 and that is fun. Mark stays at home at this time each week and tries to help the kids with their school work and getting stuff done around the house. Mark’s side of the family (Dad and Denise) pick up the 3 boys around 12 or 1 when Mark has to leave and that way the girls can focus on their schoolwork and chores.
When I get home I have a helper as I am wiped out. At this point Mark drives me to chemo and my chemo buddy brings me home because I don’t even feel comfortable driving home. I am basically down after chemo, tired and not doing the regular stuff; so from 2 – 6 p.m. someone helps where needed - laundry, watching kids, etc. often they sit at the end of my bed and we visit. I have such wise and wonderful friends! I have learned so much each week. The boys get dropped off around dinner time and then the family heads to church w/o me of course, to do their weekly activities. I hang out reading or watching T.V. with our kitty Sebastian.

Thursdays – I have been having my friend Brenda Debor over on Thursday mornings and last week the whole day; she helps where needed. She takes me to get my WBC count shot and last week we shopping at Target and went to the acupuncturist. Because I am weak from all the drugs of chemo on Wed. and the shot hurts my bones on Thur., those are my most difficult days; not to mention the time away from my family. I am also starting a 7th – 10th grade University model school program here in Katy this year, as I leave CC, and so I also have business meeting phone calls on this day and prep for CC on Friday. This Thursday for example I have a phone meeting with Barbara Freeman the director of the NAUMS program. I love this type of activity, as I am most happy doing what I love and being myself and following the Lord’s will when I know it.

Fridays - I love Friday’s! This is where I can see my friends and all the amazing children on our campus. We are gone from 7:40 – 4:00. I am usually wiped out after our big day and come home and take a short nap. Friday nights, we watch a movie and hang out as a family. Often our Friday nights mean other kids spending the night. Last week we had two girls, Mercy and Sarah Joy. My children have amazing hand – picked friends and I am so grateful to the Lord for that provision.

Saturdays – Every Sat is different, with birthday parties, sporting events, visiting friends, etc. this weekend Hannah is going to Oklahoma with the McCarty family and so it will be a quieter weekend for sure. We also have my Aunt and cousin coming in for a quick visit. Our life is pretty normal here except for all the meds and occasional pain.

Sundays - The last few weeks I have been staying home to rest and get caught up on things, usually paper work, research and such. I watch church and FOX news of course, and hang out with the kitty in peace and quiet which is a great time for me. I am hoping to get back to church and normal activities soon.

The main thing you don’t see here is everything on the care calendar, and just other normal life activities. People stop by to bring meals and visit and people scheduled to help with daily chores and people that pick up kids and drop them off where they need to go, etc. The house is always a revolving door, but I thrive in that and it is similar to what we have always had but a bit more. Yesterday for example I had 3 friends sitting on my couch having tea with me in the afternoon. I didn’t know the day before that they’d be there, but what fun. I am very blessed and I am so aware of it. Thankful, oh so Thankful for today and whatever God brings my way.
I Love my life, my God, my husband, my kids and my friends and family, especially this Valentine’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, please leave a comment or question for me.